Nuts and Bolts Organizer

Submitted to Show Off

My workbench is always pressed for enough space and I was getting tired of sorting through a variety containers any time I needed a nut, bolt or screw. After getting inspiration online for an organized rack of hardware drawers, I decided to build my own.  The core of this uses the Stanley Professional compartment organizer system with removable bins. What I made is the wood rack that allows the organizers to stack one on top of another and easily slide out on wood rails. 

You are limited only by how many organizer trays you want to store. I've see people stack these 15 organizers tall or more and put wheels on the rack to move around their workshop. As shown in my second photo, Stanley makes a extra-deep organizer but because it is exactly the same height as two of their regular organizers stacked on top of one another, it still fits perfectly in the storage rack.

Tools
  • Dremel Ultra-Saw
  • Pneumatic finish nailer

Materials
  • 1/2" birch plywood (sanded one side)
  • 3/4" x 1/2" pine trim
  • Wood glue
  • 1" nails

Whether you choose to build this organizer or not, you will always benefit by having an organized shop and one that keeps you making more efficiently.